Sunday, September 10, 2017

I "HEART" ROMA

Tile graffiti by the circus maximus; across from the ruins of the emperor's palace. Note the mud splash from the torrential downpour from earlier that day.

 Rome's the first major european city I've travelled to that I don't really know that much about. And, because we're on a tour, I did not trouble myself to do much advance research. So everything is a huge surprise.

The emperor's palace, what's left of it.
 The biggest surprise is the glorious jumble of history in the city. 2,000-year-old temples sit next to medieval churches next to Facist edifices. I wish I could stop the bus every block and spend an hour with the view.


This is a picture of the seating arrangements on the bus for Monday, September 11. We're going to go see the Vatican Museum and the Sistine Chapel (no photos allowed). Later today we are going to do the special excursion "Backstreets, Piazzas and Fountains of Rome." 

I hope this will be on foot so we can spend some time with the view.

Thanks for reading!

Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment