Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Unstapled

People have expressed a lot of curiosity about these things, so I offer for your edification:

- the staples the surgical team used to close my wound were metal and just about the size and shape you'd expect, though the spikes that went into my skin were shorter than the ones you find on paper staples, which strikes me as an altogether good thing.
- Barb, the nurse who removed the staples for me at the clinic this morning didn't count them, but agreed that 40 was a good ballpark number. "There were a lot of staples," she said.
- It didn't hurt to take them out - though two or three pinched a bit.
- The whole process took about fifteen minutes.
- the scar is 8.5" long, which, said Barb, is normal for a hip replacement.

There you go. Information for the ages.

When I see my surgeon on September 27 for my follow-up appointment, I'll get the answer to the other question I've gotten a lot: what's my new hip made of?

Thanks for reading!

Karen


No comments:

Post a Comment