Wednesday, April 27, 2022

Wicklow Day Four - Out of Glendalough to Roundwood


We left the tree farms and abandoned mine sites behind today. We hiked through old forests and farms abandoned in the famine, past the small prosperous hamlet of Oldbridge to Roundwood.

We did our usual five hour walk, with less mountain climbing, more straightforward hiking and a wide range of landscapes, from deep forests, to rural towns, to sheep pasture and farmland. 




Kevin finds a metaphor.
I'm getting used to the pace and demands of the daily walks. First we go up, and then we go down. We might do that twice in a day. Going up makes me really warm. Going down makes me cold. When we stop to eat, I feel the calories like fuel in my leg muscles. When we finally start talking about getting close to our destination, the only things I can think about are a clean toilet and a comfy chair. And a beer. 

Thanks for reading!

Karen




 

No comments:

Post a Comment