Saturday, December 25, 2021

Where it All Began

There was a lot happening onstage at the Princess of Wales theatre for a matinee performance of Jesus Christ Superstar. The young and constantly-moving cast put their full effort into the show even though there were a half-audience’s worth of empty seats.

There was even more going on in my head. First, there was the shop-grade N95 mask on my face imparting everything with a funny smell. Then there was the movie version with Tim Neely as Jesus Christ firmly imprinted in my memory, almost as firmly as the original cast album of JC Superstar that I listened to a thousand times and knew by heart, along with a YouTube compilation of all of the men who have tried to sing WHYYYYYY like Ian Gillan. So, that’s a rich and textured mind set to bring to watching a stage production. Oh, right, and when I was 19 years old, I saw Jesus Christ Superstar on stage in London, England, with Colm Wilkinson (who later became the Phantom of the Opera for half a lifetime) as Judas. 

What I really noticed this time was how much I completely missed the political part of the story when I was younger. This time I saw how the songs mix together the politics of the age – Israeli resistance to Roman occupation – with the spiritual story. So JC was a rallying point for everyone - spiritual seekers and revolutionaries alike - even though he kept reminding them that they had no idea what was going on and he was not the person they thought he was. So, Judas and Jesus were on the same page. Which is why they were on the stage together at the very end after the violent and moving scene where Jesus is put on the cross. If I could have added Christian faith to my mind set, I might have left the theatre in tears. 

There were probably some things to nit and pick about the production – some singers’ articulation was mushy; the band overwhelmed the voices sometimes; Caiaphas on stage couldn’t hold a candle to Caiaphas in the movie – but overall it was splendid. When it was over we stood on our feet and clapped for them for a long time. 

We're spending this Christmas at home - except for the few hours when Bruce will be at Toronto General Hospital waiting with his father for news about that pacemaker Ken asked Santa to bring.

I hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday, however you spend it.

Thanks for reading!

Merry Christmas!

Karen





No comments:

Post a Comment