Saturday, December 18, 2021

How Many 64-Year-Olds Does it Take to Change a Lightbulb?

      
These are not the lightbulbs under discussion. This is a holiday spectacle at the corner of George and Shuter Streets.

***

Like hopefuls auditioning for a spot in a Three Stooges revival, Bruce and I spent some time this past week wrestling with a 24-foot extension ladder. Last time I'd done that, I was 23 years old, painting the outside trim of my professor's house. I didn't know anything about house painting, or extension ladders. I proved the latter point when the ladder collapsed shortly after I'd used it to get onto the roof of the house. A stranger passing on the sidewalk saved me that day.

Our objective this week was the light fixture over our door, which sits a good twenty feet up from the sidewalk. The light bulb was not turning on.

We were hoping that it had just worked itself loose in its socket. It's been less than a year since the guys in Unit #7 hazarded a climb up that same extension ladder and changed the bulb for us.  

People Bruce's and my age are not supposed to spend too much time on high ladders. At first we put the ladder on the step. It was a shorter fall. But, a local walked by and said "that ladder's too steep." He had a point. So we put it on the sidewalk.

On the sidewalk, the ladder was at a safer angle, but fully extended. I couldn't think of anything I wanted to climb up less.

The opinionated local passed us again. He asked if we were changing a light bulb. I said "yes." He said "I can go up the ladder for you." 

Recalling the services rendered by a neighbour just the week before, I asked, "what'll you charge?" He said "Ten dollars."

"Sold," I said. 
 
He nimbly scampered up the ladder. He checked the bulb. It was burnt out and needed a replacement. 

We hadn't planned that far in advance. Bruce went to find a bulb. While the man hung out suspended twenty feet above the street, we made small talk about the weather. Bruce found a bulb and gave it to him. 

It was a bit of a struggle getting the new bulb screwed in. He said "birds have been in here." Once properly in the socket, the bulb worked fine. Our neighbour zipped down the ladder and expertly collapsed it. He was obviously the right guy for the job. 

I still don't carry cash, so Bruce gave him the money. We thanked him profusely. He said, "Thank you for the blessing. Have a Merry Christmas." 

Many's the time in spring I find fledgling sparrows on our front step. Sometimes they're just about fit to fly and survive to live their little birdie lives; other times they are hopelessly young and die on the step from exposure. When you find one of these sad little things, the advice is to put it back in the nest, but I could never figure out where the nest was. 

Now that I know, my next saviour to come along will be asked to remove the old nest and put a screen over the fixture.

Thanks for reading!

Get that booster shot!

Karen


In Memoriam: Brenda Christine Connor


From Toronto.com: A wheelchair painted white and adorned with flowers, a memorial to 59-year-old Brenda Christine Connor at the corner of Dundas and Sherbourne Streets. She died on Nov. 18 after being struck at the intersection by the driver of a cement truck. More than 40 people attended a memorial service for her on December 14, 2021.

No comments:

Post a Comment