Saturday, June 19, 2021

Right On Schedule

Blake House Pub, Jarvis Street, Toronto, 13 June 2021.
Ed and Judi Jewinski and Bruce


As predicted, in mid-June I sat on a patio with three friends. 

I want next to look forward to a haircut, but this moment feels a bit like the last time we let our guard down while a more transmissible COVID variant surged in the background. 

COVID delta, the airline you never want to fly on.

With my smattering of Internet-news-level knowledge of how viruses work, I find myself wondering if lockdowns, etc., aren't contributing to the emergence of these variants. You know, all the virus wants to do is reproduce. If its hosts are playing hard to get, then the virus will make itself harder to avoid.

Bruce, with a level of virus expertise to match my own, thinks we'll find equilibrium with COVID. Eventually more of us will get it, but fewer will die, so it will be more like the flu bugs that kill some people every year but don't drive countries to lock things down. 

Sooner or later we have to stop running from the virus. It’s proven itself adaptable. So are we. So let’s always wear masks in enclosed public spaces. Let's improve indoor ventilation in crowded workplaces and homes. Let's take special care to protect vulnerable people. And let’s give one another some space in line ups, at street corners and in restaurants. And everyone should get paid sick days so people with symptoms can stay home. 

Vacation Alert


We're headed to cottage country this week. If I can get my phone to link me to the Internet, there may be some mid-week posts featuring water and trees.

Thanks for reading!

Have a great week!

Karen

The last time Bruce was
at the Blake House, 
20 March, 2021


No comments:

Post a Comment