Saturday, March 28, 2020

Read the Signs

Cabbagetown crocuses: Amelia Street, March 26, 2020

Garden Angel: George Street, March 27, 2020
All the letters I get in my e-mail say that the corona virus situation changes rapidly every day. For the people sending me the letters, I imagine that's true.

For me and Bruce, our days don't change much.



When people weren't voluntarily social distancing, the Mayor of Toronto finally got around to declaring a state of emergency.


 


 

Now all the Toronto businesses we see are closed, or have signs asking people to socially distance themselves.  Torontonians are all now six feet apart.



I still question the wisdom of closing public washrooms. There's a lot more shit on the streets - and it's not horses or dogs.

The Princess of Wales Theatre has amped up its marquee messaging.


 



We wonder as we walk on deserted sidewalks by seventy-storey office towers whether post-pandemic work-from-home arrangements will be the new normal and what that will mean for Scotia Tower, First Canadian Place, the Bank of Montreal Tower and all the others.

Big shocks to the economy, like the one we're experiencing now, precipitate change and shake out marginal or borderline-obsolete businesses.




I've got my finger's crossed that Filmore's - one of the few remaining strip clubs in Toronto - doesn't make it out alive.

Thanks for reading!

Stay healthy! 

Karen


Last week gas was 76 cents a litre.
Canadian crude is five bucks a barrel.
I can think of another industry that 

I hope won't make it out alive.




No comments:

Post a Comment