Saturday, December 21, 2019

'Tis the Season to be Jolly



Today is December 21, the shortest day of 2019 and the first day of my new status as a former public servant.

I waited for this for almost a year, and, on some days, I could hardly wait. 

The guy slated to take my job could also hardly wait. He updated his LinkedIn profile a couple of weeks ago to say he was doing my job. 

It was around then that he stuck his head in my door and asked "When are you going to clean out your office?"

Yesterday, my last day, I opened my closet to hang up my coat and saw there was no room. The new guy had moved all his stuff in the day before.

It perhaps goes without saying now that there are a few mixed feelings.  

When I surrendered my phone, my laptop, my VPN token, my corporate credit card (that I never used) and my security badge, the finality sank in a bit. 

When I exchanged the last few blasts of small talk and congratulations with my team and gave most but not all of them a parting hug, I felt a little sad.

And when I heard, just before I left, my boss, my successor and the head of ministry communications brainstorming outside my office about how to stickhandle the most recent (and most assuredly not the last) major policy gaffe orchestrated by Ontario's stubborn, inept and gormless government, I felt a little less sad. 

Thanks for reading!

Happy Holidays!

Karen

As festive as it gets around here:
The Christmas coat tree in extreme close up

No comments:

Post a Comment