Saturday, March 31, 2018

Two of a Kind

In Florence: Waiting to get into the Academy
Memories of Italy: Part of another massive human swarm.
This time we're waiting to get into the One of a Kind Show.
 My sister and I celebrated the arrival of spring by swinging by the One of a Kind "Craft" show, the first time in several years for Kim, the first time in a decade for me.

I recall when I went there in 2008 - when it was held in the grubby cathedral-like space of the Metro Convention Centre - that I held myself to a $200 budget, with no single purchase over $25.

I spent a bit more this time, with the greatest part going to some fun clothes, brought all the way from Winnipeg, designed by the charming Lennard Taylor.

My other purchase was of some Low Poly craft kits, which are do-it-yourself paper sculptures, a combination of origami and Meccano.

Kim got some caramelized white chocolate, a squirrel-proof bird feeder and some fun -- possibly over-priced -- costume jewellery, pictured below.

The floating red hat completes the ensemble.
We had a super fun morning, the milling mob notwithstanding. 

But One of a Kind is not a "craft" show. 

Maybe it's a "cottage industry" show, or an "entrepreneurial artisan" show, or a "limited edition manufactured item" show or a "you can buy this in sixteen cities and three countries and here as well" show, but very few of the zillions of fine pieces on sale would qualify as "crafts" as such.

One notable exception was hand knit sculptures of tiny cacti. They were beautifully done, 25 bucks apiece, and, ten years ago, at least one would have left the show with me.

Thanks for reading!

Have a great week!

Karen


No comments:

Post a Comment