Sunday, March 4, 2018

Hometown Tourist

View from the very last orchestra row: Royal Alex Theatre
In an almost O'Henry-eque turn of events, a colleague at work and his wife had the same idea about what to give their spouse for Christmas.

During my last week at the office, he sent out an e-mail asking if anyone would like two tickets to "Come From Away." I was over with my chequebook so fast I forgot to bring my security pass. I spent a few tense moments stuck in the stairwell, worried more about someone snatching up the tickets than dealing with the inconvenience of going down ten flights and then coming back up in the elevator.

Bruce and I saw the show last night. We weren't sure if it would be too much for Bruce and his battered eyeball. But he lasted through.

I know a lot about the show because my sister and brother-in-law have seen it twice. 

It is sweet, funny, both sentimental and hard nosed, with the comic crescendo about two thirds in: the audience roared with laughter.

On Broadway, "Come From Away" won a Tony for stage direction. That seems about right. The cast is constantly in tightly choreographed motion, seamlessly switching characters and locations with nothing to work with but a hat or jacket, twelve chairs and a revolving platform. Great stagecraft.

Thanks for reading!

Karen


No comments:

Post a Comment