Saturday, December 31, 2016

The Perfection of Random Chance

Randomly Placed Staples: Power Pole on Davenport Road
The circumstances around the sad passing of Bruce's mom left me a bit short of time to shop for perfect gifts for the folks assembling on Christmas day.

So this is what I did:

  • I sat down with the Lee Valley Christmas gift catalogue, selected seven items I liked that were all reasonably priced, and called the store.
  • When I learned that most of the items I liked were out of stock, I ordered the two items they still had that were on my "A" list, hung up the phone and plowed through the catalogue to find "B" list gifts.
  • I called again and made my second order.
  • The combined total of what Lee Valley had and what I liked still left me one gift short. So I headed over to Church Street, wandered into David's Tea without an agenda and emerged with the seventh gift.
  • I went to Lee Valley and picked up the rest of the gifts, brought them home and wrapped them all. After they were wrapped and I'd started to forget which was which, I put tags with numbers one through seven on the gifts.
  • Then I wrote the numbers one to seven on little cards, and put each of those in an envelope with a Christmas card expressing Bruce's and my fondest holiday wishes. I did not put names on the envelopes.
  • On Christmas Day, I explained to the seven giftees that we were playing a version of Secret Santa. They could randomly draw one of the seven Christmas cards and, whatever number they had in the card, that was their gift. After everyone had opened their gift and everyone else had a chance to take a good look at it, anyone who wanted to could swap.
  • There were no swaps.

Thanks for reading!

Have a Happy New Year!

Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment