Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Live From Toronto Western Hospital

Today is September 27, 2016, one month and ten days since I had my surgery. I'm sitting in the pleasant atrium of Toronto Western Hospital.

I have an appointment with my surgeon, Dr. Mahomed, in about 45 minutes. I got here early so I could avoid the crowds on public transit. 

As they never have before, able-bodied people who take the seats on the streetcar reserved for disabled people really piss me off.

This wasp covers graffiti that covered the original mural painted by Nick Sweetnam more than a year ago. Behind the wasp are the container gardens photographed to accompany the Hot Dry Summer post.
I'm here so my surgeon can check on my progress and take the requisite sacrificial vials of bodily fluids - blood and urine I think.

I will ask him the following questions:

What is my hip made of (for the curious)?

Will it really set off metal detectors at the airport every time?

What are future signs of trouble with the hip that I should be on the look out for?

I hope to never need this kind of surgery again, but if I do, can I give your office a call?

I will give him the following feedback:

The information provided about before, during and immediately after surgery was welcome and really helped me understand what would happen.

But, I would have found it very useful if there had been perhaps an equal amount of information about post-surgery rehabilitation.

The "don'ts" I was given - don't turn your feet in or out, don't bend your hip past 90 degrees, don't cross your legs, don't reach toward the bottom of the bed to pull your covers up - seemed focused on issues I didn't have.

I would have liked to have been told when I could safely stand on my feet and walk more than tens steps without doing myself more harm than good.

I had to estimate how much time I would need to take off work long before the surgery. I made that decision with almost no information. 

It's fortunate I'm a good guesser.

Check future posts for the answers to these and other questions, and for the good doctor's reaction to my feedback.

Thanks for reading!

Karen
















No comments:

Post a Comment