Saturday, January 23, 2016

My New Year's Resolution: Revisited

Waterlogue interpretation of the sunset in Barbados


Those following the news know that I managed to keep my New Years resolution within just days of making it. 

Can't tell you what a relief that was.

But, there's still most of the year left, so I think I should try again.

Next week I will travel for two days in order to spend one day in the booming metropolis of Fort Frances, Ontario. I'm venturing to the "north" - Fort Frances is actually farther south than Winnipeg - to have a chat about climate change with fifty or so people who identify themselves as being under "Treaty Three."

This should be interesting. It's my fourth such meeting, but all the others have been in places like Thunder Bay and Sudbury, where it's easy to fly in and out, or easy to drive to like Niagara Falls. 

This trip, I will be flying to Thunder Bay and then hopping in a vehicle with four other public servants and driving for hours to Fort Frances. Part of the trip includes a jaunt over an ice road - which is a fancy way of saying we'll be driving over a frozen body of water.

Coincidentally, ice roads - and the impacts of climate change thereon - will be one of the topics of discussion at the meeting. Warmer weather shortens the viable life of these roads, strands northern communities, massively increases the cost of living in those communities and creates hazards for people travelling along those roads.

With this in mind, I am going to update my NYR to: for 2016, I resolve to do everything I can to keep my feet out of freezing water.

Thanks for reading!

Have a great week!

Karen






No comments:

Post a Comment