Saturday, October 3, 2015

Destructive Testing


Seems innocent enough: the Y from a different angle

I've been trying a few things, checking out how I might remain physically active while physically handicapped. Some attempts go better than others.

I mentioned in earlier posts how a nice young physiotherapy clinic director out of the tremendous kindness of his heart offered to help me for free to find a path. First up on that path, after the cane, was a YMCA membership so that I could have access to all kinds of options: stationary cycling, weight machines, free weights, aqua fit classes - the whole megillah.

He counselled trying the bike for a while. I did. Riding the stationary cycle for a half hour once every other day or so is great - and I get to watch the Food Channel on the TV mounted in the cycle room, though, sadly, due to my schedule I see more Pioneer Woman than I think I need to.

After I tried that for a couple of weeks, and it seemed to be going well, I dropped by his office and we talked about what I might try next. He suggested moving onto weight machines. Upper body exercises first and then see how it goes. He balked a bit when I said that I would use the fitness trainers at the Y to help me learn the machines, but I did not see how anything could possibly go wrong.

First up in the "go wrong" department was how the volunteer I talked to at the sales desk was sufficiently knowledgeable in her job to charge my credit card right away for a one-hour training session, but not schooled well enough to actually get me booked with a trainer. After three attempts, and the passage of almost two full weeks, I did get hooked up with a perky (I assume all trainers are perky) young woman who admitted to having her doubts - because of my arthritis - about whether I'd be able to do anything at all with the weights. She admitted at the end of the session to being impressed with how much strength I had.

Second up was the reaction, the following day, to my weight work out. I knew I wasn't going to use the leg machines regularly, but I did do one set on each of three different machines just so I knew how to use them. 

Proof of the impact of weight machines on a human body: after one session on the leg curl / leg lift contraptions, I could barely use my right leg.

But, I'm on the sunny side of that little mishap. Even arthritic limbs will recover from shocks. And now I know what machines not to use.


Another Experiment in Behavioural Science - Part IX

We are now 90% of the way to the end of this ground-breaking research in the area of You'll Have to Wait a Couple of Weeks to Find Out.

That the end is in sight appears to have made some respondents quail, or perhaps completely lose interest. Last week's number of respondents was lower than it's been since the survey began. Don't forget, answering these questions makes you immortal. And you'll smell awesome. 

You'll find this week's question here. 

Thanks for reading!

Have a great week!

Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment