Thursday, April 3, 2014

Bonus Edition: Fun With Phone Apps

While I was in St. Augustine, my friends Kate and Ed introduced me to some fun apps that you can get for your tablet or phone.

The apps are made by one or both of John Balestrieri of Tinrocket, LLC and Robert Clair of Chromatic Bytes, LLC. There are three: Waterlogue - which turns your photos into watercolour paintings; Percolator - which takes digital images and manipulates them into mosaic-like arrangements; Popsicolor - which turns photos into duotones (just like they used to do to those photos in your high school yearbook).

The apps are hugely fun to play with and the images you make can be posted readily to social media. For what I've done below I shared photos from my Mac to my iPad and shared the modified images back from my iPad to my Mac. These apps aren't available for Macs, else all these steps would not be necessary.

Percolator
Readers recall that this was one of the images I made on my iPad a couple of summers ago. It's my rendition of a Hockney.



Here's how it looks after it's been "brewed by Percolator."



Popsicolor
Readers may also recall the very first photo I published on this blog, the found object sculpture of a superhero on the Leslie Street Spit.


Here's how it looks as a Popsicolored image:




Waterlogue
This is a previously unpublished photo of Toronto's most famous dying desert plant: the Allan Gardens agave flower spike.



Here it is in Waterlogue:


Each app - especially Percolator - provides lots of options in how you can play with the image. 

Like I said, they're lots of fun.

Thanks for reading!

Karen






No comments:

Post a Comment