Saturday, June 1, 2013

Awards, Underwear, Phones

The stalwart group of policy professionals that I lead and I (plus my hard-working, long-suffering boss) have been selected to receive the Ontario Public Service's most auspicious award - the Amethyst Award - for our work on that five-years-in-the-making national air quality thingy I blogged about last year.

This is a big deal and probably isn't going to happen to me twice. This calls for new shoes. Here they are.

























And a new dress. Here's an idea of what it looks like.

And underwear.....

A long time ago, I watched a short clip of a cat that completely lost it at a pet show. After hours of combing and poking and primping and posing and all those things not so second nature to cats, the poor little thing did a sudden six foot vertical leap in the air, spun 180 degrees, clawed its owners face and shot like a rocket under the bleacher seats where it glowered, yowled and struck out at anyone who tried to get it out.

The other thing I did in Belleville last week besides cooking up a storm was to go to my kid sister's favourite underwear store and check out the costly bras. I have my whole bra-wearing life stayed away from underwire. I can't stand it. It makes me crazy. I turn into that cat at the pet show.

But, if you are prepared to pay enough for your underwear, a good bra can lift your spirits without making you mad. I bought a nice purple one to wear to the ceremony.

The new underwear, while vastly superior to lower-cost instruments of torture, still took some getting used to, and, while on the topic of the awards, I shared the details of this situation with some of the people at work - those, at least, with whom I can have a relaxed conversation about the bra I'm wearing.

After a chat about the ceremony, my new shoes and underwear, one colleague asked, "Will that be all you have on?"

**************************************************************************

Always on the lookout for new metrics of inebriation, I was glad to hear a young woman say this to her friend as they waited for the streetcar at the crowded corner of College and Yonge:

"I was so drunk I didn't know where my phone was."

Have a great week!

Karen








No comments:

Post a Comment