Saturday, July 1, 2023

Worst Mayor Ever

Elevator door signage, B1 Level, St. Michael's Hospital.
Three of the four elevators were out of service. I waited there a long time, hoping they would reinvent the patient experience soon.
Readers last week may have noticed that on the Saturday of the Pride weekend, and two days before Toronto's mayoral election, I mentioned neither, opting instead to share a very interesting story about my kitchen floor.

For the former, I offer up a belated heartfelt Happy Pride!!!!!

For the latter, well, the votes have been counted and, in case you haven't heard, Olivia Chow is the new mayor of Toronto.

Of course I voted, and, for the first time in years, I voted for the guy who won!

The one time I didn't vote was in the 2010 municipal election, when the late Rob Ford became mayor of Toronto. 

Ford won by twelve points, so, I don't think it's because I didn't vote that he became mayor.

But I've never taken that chance again. I felt disgusted and embarrassed the night Rob Ford was elected. As his incompetence and addictions came to light, those feelings just grew.

I didn't feel disgusted or embarrassed after this election. Everyone agrees Chow's smart and tough. 

But I don't have any illusions. 

Still I had to laugh when, just before the election, Doug Ford, Rob's brother, took to the airwaves and decried the "unmitigated disaster" that would rain down upon the city were Olivia Chow to be elected.

Ford was just talking trash in the heat of the moment (and I assume someone on his team helped him with "unmitigated"). But, just to be clear, the reigning title holder for Worst Mayor Ever is and will always be Rob Ford. 

Chow may have her work cut out for her, but at least she's fit for the job. 

Happy Canada Day!

Karen

Just a tiny fraction of the encampment mess in
the Allan Gardens, right around the corner from
my home. I have no illusions that this terrible
situation will be fixed soon, but the new Mayor
and all her colleagues on council will be hearing 
from me until it is.






2 comments:

  1. From the other side of Rockies, we couldn't agree more with your assessment, the next step is to send DF packing, maybe the current Mayor of Mississauga can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm watching and worried about the growing encampment. I wrote the city and begged them to not allow any tents on the side the kid's playground (where drinking and drunks are happening) and i'm going to beg them to ask the guys to stop setting up drinking tables in the dog run areas. Both of these places brought diversity and fun back to the park and now i feel the park isn't for everyone anymore...Sherree

    ReplyDelete