Saturday, March 12, 2022

A Precarious Balance

MARCH 10, 1989: Jack Russell terrier Brown-Eyed Susie 
wonders what else she can do to get Strega, a Neapolitan 
mastiff, to notice her. Sportsmen’s Show, Exhibition Place. 
Copyright The Toronto Star.

At the same time that I'm helping Dianne Saxe find supporters in her run for the Green Party in the provincial election, I'm working with other members of my condo Board to find a management company for our townhouse complex. 

In between door knocks, Dianne and I talk about lots of different things, including the strange rituals associated with democracy ... like two women too warmly dressed for the indoors tramping through apartment block hallways hoping to beat the impossible odds that someone will be home, able to talk, able to vote in the next election, prepared to discuss the issues on their minds, inclined to vote Green and willing to volunteer and/or put up a sign. 

We knocked on more than 200 doors yesterday, found a dozen people willing to talk, less than a dozen willing to vote Green, and three willing put up a sign once the writ has dropped. 

Once when we were between doors, I made a perhaps too pointed observation about the myriad failures of government. Dianne took exception to my remark and asked me who I trusted, meaning, if not a democratically elected government, then who? I averred that the institution of democratic governance was one of the best human ideas ever, but, I said, "so much relies on the people inside the institution."

Same thing with condo management companies. We asked ten companies for quotes, got responses from four, and for the past month have been interviewing three companies and their references. We feel good about the odds that we will find a suitable company. But, what matters most will be who's got the hands-on job of managing condo maintenance and repair. The property manager him or herself is the keystone of success.

I thought that my one bout of canvassing last week would be it for me and Dianne's campaign, but I've decided that I will help her with going door to door every Friday afternoon from now until the election on June 2. 

Because institutions work best with the right person in the job.

Thanks for reading!

Have a great week!

Karen

Long tail duck, Leslie Street Spit, Dec 2020


No comments:

Post a Comment