Saturday, January 22, 2022

Put Me In Coach - Part II

Doug Ford has hit rock bottom. Even the strip clubs have turned against him.

In 2017, when I was still working, I wrote "with my dwindling stock of days remaining, I need to figure out how to keep my world full of wonder."

As I enter my third year of it, I can report that retirement doesn't hold a lot of wonder, but that might be because no one expects it to. 

Everyone knows that retired people have a short list of things to do. They travel, golf, and go to medical appointments. They may also have grandchildren to take care of. 

When they’re around eighty, so goes the story, if they’ve managed to make it that far, retired people have nothing left to offer the world and so fully commit to their slide to the grave. Then they die. 

I don't see a lot in the news about retirement as a time of renewal and expansion, a whole new opportunity to take risks, to change perceptions, to learn from the generations coming up. 

Fiction about old people, when anyone troubles to write it, is at best about redemption, at worst about regret, and only very rarely about fresh starts. 

Despite the overweening societal indifference to people past retirement age, I have decided to make a fresh start. 

I'm enrolled in a course to become a book coach. 

What's a book coach you want to know? I'll explain later.

Thanks for reading!

Have a great week!

Karen

Some bergara daisies to brighten things a bit.


1 comment:

  1. Great pic and even greater news!!! We're looking forward to hearing more about book coaching when we can gather again for a bit of a nosh and a drink....Ange & Keith

    ReplyDelete