Saturday, August 7, 2021

Green Bound Leaf

Sun hat, pylon, shoreline: Leslie Street Spit Pedestrian bridge, 7 August, 2021
 

I've never liked puns. People who know me well understand the best way to torture me is to pummel me with puns.

But, spoonerisms delight me, and render me pee-my-pants helpless.

Spoonerisms are, of course, the inadvertent switching of consonants or phonemes at the beginning of words, exemplified by Reverend Spooner, an Oxford Don, who is said to have admonished one of his students by saying "you hissed all my mystery lectures" and "tasted two whole worms" among other hilarious mis-statements.

Archie Campbell achieved the highest level of the art form with his performance of Rindercella.

I personally commit this mental error from time to time. Once I told my friends about my "unts and ankles." 

Most recently, I stood in the alley behind the townhouse complex, arguing with an owner of one of the condo units. She had, I firmly believed, tried to pull a fast one and side-step a long-standing dispute with the owner of the property south of ours which I had, as a member of the board, spent more than a year stuck in the middle of.  

In response to my theory, she said, "You make it sound like I'm manipulative."

Well, I thought, if the foo shits.

Thanks for reading!

Have a great week!

Karen


Feed me! Baby cliff swallow, Leslie Street Spit.
7 August, 2021






No comments:

Post a Comment