Saturday, May 30, 2020

Signs of Life




I keep checking the COVID 19 Assessment Centre at Women's College Hospital for signs of activity. For weeks, I saw none. 

But, across the street, a massive dandelion patch sprang up. So, instead of counting COVID patients, I watched countless bees drill the brilliant flower tops. 

Then, all of a sudden, urged on by a Premier frustrated by low numbers - and who was promptly contradicted by public health gatekeepers frustrated by the Premier's impulsive outbursts - people started lining up for tests. 


Women's College Hospital, two days after the Premier told people to just go to an assessment centre even if they don't have symptoms, and after a medical officer of health said "you should wait to see if you have symptoms."
This dazzling example of Ford's all thumbs on deck approach to pandemic management came on the heels of an estimated 10,000 people - predictably in the 18 to 35 age group - cramming themselves into Trinity Bellwoods Park

Bruce and I walked by Trinity Bellwoods around 4 o'clock in the afternoon that day and noted then that it seemed crowded, so we kept going. 

Even outdoors I don't want to share air with that many people, but the comparative safety of outside got me thinking about expanding my social circle to a number greater than one. So I've arranged some socially-distanced visits this weekend.


Early enough for the birds to still be singing, we're joining some friends on Saturday for a stroll along Bayview Avenue, which is closed to cars this weekend so cramped, lonely self-isolators can stretch their legs and enjoy shouted conversations. 

By the time the birds have stopped singing, we'll be picnicking at Eglinton Park, six feet away from other friends, not sharing our food and limiting our liquid intake because public washrooms are still not all open.

And on Sunday, I'll join a former colleague from the Energy ministry for a cup of coffee out of doors. Using rapidly evolving COVID etiquette, he asked me if I minded that he would not be wearing a mask. As much fun as it would be to see him try to drink his coffee with one, I said I didn't mind.

Thanks for reading!

Stay safe! Go outside!

Karen


Another sign ... gas prices 
up twenty cents a litre












No comments:

Post a Comment