Saturday, March 16, 2019

Iceberg

March of the 50 Storey Towers seen from the Allan Gardens:
The corner of Dundas and Jarvis.
 
About a year ago, I started at the Ministry of Energy (now the Ministry of Energy, Northern Development and Mines). I mentioned at the time that my first task was to reform the Ontario Energy Board, the agency that decides, among other things, what rates local utilities can charge their customers.

Over the past year, my team and I have supported the work of the panel appointed to review the OEB. We saw them talk to hundreds of people interested in their enquiry and then saw them disbanded in what no one but me calls the "June 29 Massacre" - the day when dozens of Orders in Council were rescinded by the new government, casualties of which included the Chief Science Officer, the Premier's Special Advisor on Climate Change John Godfrey and each of the members of the OEB panel. 

The panel was reconstituted in August with a streamlined mandate, downsized budget and shortened timeline. Thanks to my team, the Panel made its deadline and handed in its homework to the Minister, as requested, at the end of October, 2018.

The report of the OEB Modernization Review Panel saw public release this week

The government is carefully considering its contents.

After the hubbub that always accompanies a release of a controversial document, my team and I enjoyed a relatively quiet March break week. 

The quiet will be over soon.

Thanks for reading!

Have a great week!

Karen

26 cm of snow almost gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment