Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Monumental

Kim at the foot of the RCAF monument, Waterfront Drive, Winnipeg
It's not that I ignore infrastructure in Toronto. I just get so used to seeing it day after day after day that it fades from my notice.

In a fresh environment, I am more aware of the effort that's been made to make a space something notable, as with Waterfront Drive in Winnipeg. 

Kim and Carol ham it up in front of the inukshuk in Lily's Garden, Waterfront Drive.
There are multiple trails and spots of interest along Winnipeg's showcase avenue, and a ball park, children's playgrounds, the suspension pedestrian bridge to St. Boniface - with the Forks historical site on the one end and Fort Douglas Park at the other. 

Graffiti on a big old train trellis

The suspension bridge

Bugs on the bridge 
We missed one monument. 

A tragic boating accident in 1963 took the lives of my mother's brother - my Uncle Ernie - and his youngest son - my cousin Robbie.

They were buried in Elmwood cemetery, a four minute drive (or twenty minute walk) from our hotel. 

The cemetery's grave search function on its web site gave us the section and plot number. After about half an hour of searching and kicking clean the surfaces of overgrown grave markers, we ascertained the spot where they must be, although no stone was there.

Thanks for reading!

Karen


No comments:

Post a Comment