Saturday, June 16, 2018

Human Rights

Mahatma and me: Kim, who took this picture,
wouldn't let me make bunny ears behind his bronze head.
Our major stop today - besides the Scots Memorial by the Red River and the obligatory stroll through the Forks Market - was the vast, impressive, bunker-like, window-clad corkscrew that is the Human Rights Museum.



The exterior owes a lot to Gehry. The entry is very like the way into a bomb shelter. 

Inside, it's a Piranesi prison.



Two Perspectives 

The museum from our hotel:


Our hotel from the museum:


There Really is a Scots Monument


The Last Thing I Expected to See in A Museum

That would be a prominent picture of someone I knew in a significant moment in the history of human rights in Canada:

This is Anne Mitchell. I worked for her when she was the Executive Director of the Canadian Institute for Environmental Law and Policy. I thought her background was in international development; I had no idea she was an anti-apartheid crusader in Canada. 
And here's the whole photo: Anne and Joe Clark and Margaret Trudeau(?).
Thanks for reading!

Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment