Monday, October 17, 2016

Live (Again) From Toronto Rehab


I'm a little early for my nine a.m. appointment, so I'll rehearse here what I'm going to share with Mariam, my physiotherapist.

The first time I came to TR - which is about 2 km from where I live; a straight line down Gerrard Street - I had to take a cab, with Bruce, because I was that weak and felt that unsure on my feet. That was September 6.

The second time I came to TR, I took the Dundas streetcar, more independent but sufficiently wobbly that a kind stranger asked if I could manage the stairs on my own. That was September 23.

Today, October 17, I walked, still using my cane, to Toronto Rehab.

Yesterday, I walked approximately 3 km to the Nespresso store on Cumberland and back, with a stop at the Maple Leaf Gardens Loblaws on the way.

That's 6 km, pre-arthritis-level walking. And there were no after effects. No soreness. No exhaustion.

So, I need to upgrade to another level. 

I started, as you recall, as a baby bird. Then a baby giraffe. Then a baby bear.

I'm graduated to adolescent now.  Bruce has proposed an ostrich.

Thanks for reading!

Karen


No comments:

Post a Comment