Saturday, June 6, 2015

Superstars and Gentle Pressure


Table set with Chilled Asparagus Soup with Timbale of Crab, Avocado and Caviar 
It's a funny thing about my work that some days I really have no idea what I'll be doing or who I'll be talking to. That's because I get last minute surprises in my calendar, dropped there by persons unknown, that send me off to meetings I have neither been briefed for nor have any idea what will happen there.

What happened this past week was I got to witness two battle-scarred political gladiators swap war stories in a game of one-upmanship that ended without a winner being declared. Each of them had many successes - perhaps in reality not quite so sparkling as they made them sound - but there's no question they'd both distinguished themselves as people who got results.

One of them provided an assessment of their peers:

"In any caucus, about 30% of them are or should be in Cabinet, another 30% are your solid "B" team, and 30% of them are folks who peter-principled the moment they got themselves elected."

I'm surprised it's only a third.

***********************************************************

When I saw my GP the other week about my arthritis diagnosis, I kindly but firmly observed that the referral service from her clinic had let me down in times past. For example, I had waited almost six months for a referral to an ophthalmologist when my eyeball went berserk in September 2013. My GP assured me that their referral clerk was tremendously skilled, but, just in case, she gave me her name to call her if I waited too long for an appointment.

This gentle application of pressure seems to have worked. I was called by the Holland Arthritis Clinic at Sunnybrook (best news about this is the hospital is very close by) within a week, and I have an appointment for an assessment on June 17. 

Public health care works.

Thanks for reading!

Have a great week!

Karen 

PS - The "caviar" in the photo of the nice-but-a-bit-bland soup is kelp caviar. No fish children were harmed in the making of this meal. Crabs were, but no fish kids.

K

No comments:

Post a Comment