Saturday, June 20, 2015

Evidence-Based Decision-Making

Detail from artwork on construction hoarding - Gerrard Street just west of Sherbourne
Recently I purged my iPad of any games that asked me to do one or more of:

  • watch an advertisement
  • pay money for gaming pieces
  • pay money to reach the "three star" score in a level
  • pay money for any reason at all

All I have left on my iPad now is Bejewelled, Scrabble and a couple of shareware games.

I find I now have more time to do other things.

The evidence that led me to this decision arose from the simple act of keeping track of expenses. A couple of years ago, because retirement was looming faster than our mortgage was shrinking, I bought an accounting app called Homebudget. The app lets you quickly create a set of books and, so long as you're diligent in both entering your data and being honest about what you're spending your money on, shows you your spending habits clearly -- habits such as pissing away money on stupid games.

The evidence was overwhelming; the course of action clear.
  

The whole work, of which this is just one side, is called "All My Relations"

I went to the Holland Clinic at Sunnybrook hospital for my arthritis assessment this past Wednesday. The assessor,  a charming woman named Veronica, put me through my paces, asked me lots of personal questions and, after hearing the response "no" to her enquiry of whether I'd brought my x-rays, sent me off to get some more x-rays. 

The radiology department is conveniently located on the second floor of the premises, so less than twenty minutes later I was looking, with Veronica, at a picture of something I'd never seen before: my pelvis.

I think, because of how I'd managed up to that point, Veronica'd had her doubts about whether or not I truly had arthritis. My leg moved too well. I had too much flexibility and too much strength.

She said, "There's no question you do have arthritis," as if she'd needed some convincing, and she pointed to the out-most edge of my right hip ball and socket joint, where the cartilage was all gone.

Seeing that really brought everything into focus. No kidding: I've got bone rubbing bone every time I take a step.

Then Veronica shared the decision that she believed the evidence supported.

"There isn't a surgeon in Toronto who would replace your hip. Anything they can give you will not be as good as what you have now."

"But I'm also in a lot of pain right now," I whined, "And I can't walk and do yoga like I used to."

Veronica thought that physiotherapy might help. She also said that she believed at least some of the pain - the pain that shoots below my knee - may be from a pinched nerve in my back.

She said, "Go to your GP and get referred for some physio to help with the arthritis pain; tell them what you've told me and see if they can't do something about your back, too."

"And," she said, "You can always come back here."


More than 20 first nations artists participated: this mural is my favourite, but I don't know who the artist is











Right in the middle: a water lily.

The murals decorated the site for three years


And now they're gone
Thanks for reading!

Have a great week!

Karen





No comments:

Post a Comment