Saturday, January 24, 2015

Disposable

Tree-discarded blossom - Fort Baker, Sausalito, California
Over the holidays I mentioned more than once that I'd seen two signs almost side by side, one advertising a seven dollar cup of coffee, another a nine dollar party dress. 

Among the range of reactions that observation brought - laughs, umbrage among them - was the cool calculation that people pay more for what they value. In the case of the cup of coffee, the value was in the person who served the drink. The dress was made far away, the comment continued, by people the purchaser couldn't see, so ....

I used to buy winter boots and coats that, although they were expensive, never really lasted more than one or two years. This year, I bought cheap, man-made-material-only boots that are all of warm, light, waterproof, durable and have a good tread. I paid for them about a third of what I usually do. They'll last as long as the ones I used to buy.

So, I'm paying less for what I value most in a pair of boots.

Same goes for my winter coat. 

I'll wear my coat and boots for two years and then, just like the expensive ones, either donate them to charity or throw them away.

If I donate them, they'll eventually make their way into a container ship and possibly be sent to the valuable people who made them in the first place.

Nothing is wasted.

Thanks for reading!

Have a great week!

Karen















No comments:

Post a Comment