Saturday, August 6, 2022

The Two Sides of the Debate

One of the handful of Canadian poets with their own portrait sculpture: Al Purdy in Queens Park.
After paying an average amount of attention to serial discussions of the pandemic, climate change and myriad other threats to the world as we know it, I think I can summarize all the arguments, as follows: 

Scientist and/or Politician: “I think it’s important that everyone modifies their behaviour so we don’t die.”

Citizen: “Don’t tell me what to do.”

Scientist and/or Politician: “But you are in danger.”

Citizen: “I can keep myself out of danger.”

Scientist and/or Politician: “But your actions hurt other people.”

Citizen: “My actions hurt no one.” 

Scientist and/or Politician: “But we have to work together.” 

Citizen: “I already told you not to tell me what to do. Besides, I question your version of what’s dangerous. I think you’re the one that’s dangerous.”

Scientist and/or Politician: “You’re an idiot. You’re the one who's dangerous.”

And so on. 

Thanks for reading!

Have a great week!

Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment