Saturday, November 7, 2020

Anything But The Election

Bruce with old oven. So unhappy
Because of the
wrench, you see

 

Bruce with new oven. No wrench! So happy! 
Toaster Oven News 

The Kitchenaid toaster oven we've had for the past I'm going to say fifteen years finally blew a knob - the one that sets the elements to "broil", "toast", "bake" and "warm."

After a day of turning the control with a wrench, we felt we'd suffered enough. I searched on line for a toaster oven without digital controls (the reason, I am sure, for the longevity of the old one), found a Hamilton Beach model for pretty much the same price I paid for the Kitchenaid fifteen years ago and ordered that from something called Cookstore, which along with sending our new counter appliance with dispatch, is 100% Canadian.*

Heart Surgery News

My brother-in-law, the one who I can't stop talking about in this blog, was ordered by his doctor to go to the hospital late last week. He's had for the past I'm going to say twenty two years an artificial valve in his heart that finally - ten years past its best before date - was showing signs of failure. After several days of observation while (I imagine) the hospital searched on line for a new valve that worked as well and was pretty much the same price as the old one, the doctors dropped by to tell him his surgery was scheduled for Friday - that is to say, yesterday. His operation went well. He's recuperating in hospital for the next seven days, then at home for the next three to six months.

Other Health News

My sniffles have all but dissipated. Thanks to those readers who wished me well and cheered me up with pictures of their dog. To celebrate my return to health, I've restarted my daily walks, which I missed, and my daily rounds on the step treader, which I did not.

Thanks for reading! 

Have a great week!

Karen

Good advice, end of May 2020.
Still seems relevant.





















*Also delivered this week: a bed frame from IKEA, a mattress from ENDY, homemade masks from my sister Carol, a box to send back my old iPad for a trade-in, several books on the writing craft, sheets for that new bed and "five pounds" of letters I wrote 30 years ago to friends who have recently needed to downsize. Returning my letters made a sizeable contribution to that task. The most remarkable thing about this frenzy of spending, shipping and receiving: not a single item came from or by way of Amazon.com.  

No comments:

Post a Comment