Saturday, July 27, 2019

Self Portrait

Me in Berczy Park in front of half of "Jacob's Ladder": photo by A. Bates.

"Never felt more alive" is what people say at pivotal points.  It's how we find expression for the tremendous thing that has just happened to us. Women who have just squeezed another human from out of their bodies might say this. 

Of course, you don't have to have a baby or climb Everest or win at Wimbledon to be exquisitely aware of the astonishing notion that in the vast empty mass of the infinite universe you have consciousness, agency and senses. 

Feeling more alive than ever can come many ways, for example:

I was at a meeting officially hosted by something we call our internal audit team. It was supposed to be a workshop, but the questions shared just an hour before by the internal audit team were terrible. I knew they were terrible; my team knew they were terrible; the people there from a third party agency knew they were terrible. 

The internal audit people did not know they were terrible. 

It was too late to reschedule. There was no time to revise the questions. I had to save the meeting. Apologizing for my own inexperience in these matters (a very Canadian way to start an open assault), I said I thought the workshop questions were off the mark as drafted; could we use the time we had to collectively develop a better set. Everyone, including the supple internal audit crew, said "yes." 

Then we had, as they say in the business, "a good discussion." And I saved eleven people from wasting two hours (for a total of 22 person hours) on a poorly conceived and worse executed piece of crap of a workshop.

I never felt more alive.

Thanks for reading!

Have a great week!

Karen





No comments:

Post a Comment