Saturday, June 15, 2019

Disinfotainment


I'm six months away from the end of my tenure as a public servant. In the meantime, Bruce and I think up bad business ideas, so that we may have something to do as the grave creeps up behind us.

One idea is "Misleading Toronto Walking Tours," to cash in on the trade of squiring around credulous out-of-towners for twenty bucks a head. We would perform as a squabbling married couple, one telling incorrect stories about Toronto landmarks (the CN tower has a ray gun to ward off meteors) and the other interrupting but still getting it wrong (no, Scotia Place has the ray gun. The CN Tower was built on a plague pit; ghosts ride the elevator). The tour would end only after the last despairing tourist had wandered away, feeling equal measures of exasperation and disgust. 

Put Me In Coach

On the same day that the Raptors became NBA champions, the team I coached through the Leadership Development Program held their graduation ceremony. I've written about these folks before. I helped them with their "Action Learning Plan" - the term applied to an impossible task to be completed by an under-resourced and mismatched team.

None of them know of my impending departure, but they were sweetly appreciative of my small efforts on their behalf. One asked if I would coach another LDP group. I looked him in the eye, smiled and said I had already signed up. Technically I wasn't lying. I have not taken my name off the list. 



Left to right: Mehul, Mark, Corey, Mike, Sandra, me.



Thanks for reading!

Have a great week!

Karen

Proud accountants, Bloor Street East


No comments:

Post a Comment