Saturday, October 27, 2018

Class Reunion

Fall colours: the Brickworks, Don River Valley, October 14, 2018
Against all odds, I went to a law school reunion last night. It's been 25 years since the class of '93 threw off the shackles of being indentured students and took on the shackles of practicing law.

But that's not the reason I went. 

There were probably parts of law school that I enjoyed, but, for a long time after, those were not the parts I recalled. I remembered being alienated, appalled and annoyed by law school and, by association, a lot of the people I went to law school with. 

Everyone whose company I enjoyed at law school, and who still lives in Toronto, I've continued to see. So I never saw reunions as a thing I needed to do.

But, this time, people whose company I enjoyed and who had moved away from Toronto were making the trek for the 25th year reunion. 

So I put on a new dress, a 100% sequinned jacket and a punishing pair of heels. Bruce, sporting an eye patch because of the wear and tear on his poor old eyeball, came and got me after work on Friday. We walked across Queen's Park to the law building on the University of Toronto campus.

It was a good party, even though the food circulating on trays set new standards for grim. Most of the people we were hoping to see were there. There were a couple of other people I was glad to connect with, but the din of the crowd made conversation impossible. The floors were bare concrete; I was in agony by the second hour on my feet.   

The law school rebuilds itself every quarter century or so. A new library went up the first year I was there. That library has been superseded by a massive new structure that the alumni association was eager to show the party guests. I passed on the tour, my feet were so sore.

If I make it to my 50th reunion, no doubt there will be an even bigger new building to tour around. It's also certain I won't wear heels.

Thanks for reading!

Have a great week!

Karen









No comments:

Post a Comment