Saturday, September 8, 2018

Eye of the Beholder

Look who's back! And who's storing stuff to eat in my back yard!
I once had a person on my staff - this is quite a few years ago now - who considered me the source of all evil in the known universe.

I know this because they told me so. Many times. 

This person's low opinion (or high, depending on how you look at it) of me had roots in their own issues with authority and need for recognition. I was not the leader of their dreams and could never be. Nor could I ever admire their contributions enough. 

This last failing was exacerbated by the fact that they contributed very little to the team.

They saw their incapacities as my fault.  Nothing I did to assuage their pain hit the mark. Everything I did -- with the exception of helping them decide to retire -- just made things worse. 

The months and years I spent with this malcontent on my team taught me the lesson of how others see us.  And the even more important lesson that sometimes no matter what I do I am a despised object in someone else's world view.

We've all been there.

But this is nothing to shrug off. 

People offended by random happenstance, convinced by their take on the situation, can feel entitled -- even obligated -- to act out, or make bad decisions. 

Depending on who the person is, their actions or decisions can have sweeping consequences

Erratum

The painting pictured in last week's post was incorrectly identified as "BC Bugaboo." The proper name is "BC Boogaloo." I asked the artist about the story behind the name. Here's Murray Mcdonnell's response:
The title is an oblique reference (very oblique almost obscure) to a very famous painting by Piet Mondrian called Broadway Boogie Woogie painted in 1942-43 and currently in the MoMA, (see below). 
He loved boogie woogie music and (some say) based the work on the street pattern of Manhattan. The underlying structure of the reflections in your painting was a series of ripple derived rows (vibrating when I saw them) and, well... it was BC, and a boogaloo is more energized than a boogie woogie and so... the title😊.



Thanks for reading!

Have a great week!

Karen






No comments:

Post a Comment