Saturday, August 31, 2013

Might As Well Be Fearless

I get to work early most days. Often, the only other person on the floor with me is the manager of the correspondence unit, a small clutch of ink-stained wretches plying themselves to the trade of answering, on behalf of the Minister of the Environment, letters expressing outrage, concern and other human emotions.

We don't work together much, the manager of the correspondence unit and I, so our exchanges when we cross paths are usually amusing pleasantries and small talk.

Of course, these days, when I'm at work before just about everyone else, it's because some imagined catastrophe is about to erupt and end life on this earth as we know it. This dread event won't come about because of climate change. No, in the minds of the people I now work for, the cataclysm will arise from the public release of a document no one will care about or even notice.

These days, as I think about the direction from above which, if I follow it, will over-extend my small resources and distract attention from purposeful work, my thoughts stray to "pushing back." That's the phrase used to describe the behaviour people engage in just before their career as a public servant goes into a tail spin.  

The other day, as an image of a small plane spiralling down toward the tree tops played in my head, I crossed paths with the manager of the correspondence unit. I said good morning and asked him how he was doing.

"Oh, you know," he said, "Just trying to keep out of trouble."

"Oh yeah?" I said, "I find these days I keep trying to get myself into trouble."

"Really?"

"Yeah," I said, "My new motto is 'might as well be fearless'."

At this point, the manager of the correspondence unit disappeared into the photocopy room and I headed on my way down the hall.  

Then I heard his voice over the sound of the photocopier warming up. He'd stuck his head back out the door. He said:

"When you think that everything bad that ever happens in the world comes from fear, that's a pretty good motto."

*****************************************************************

Ruby Slippers

At the New York Public Library in June, at a display exploring well-loved children's books, in the corner of the room dedicated to The Wizard of Oz:



Thanks for reading! Have a great week!

Karen








No comments:

Post a Comment