Saturday, March 30, 2013

Punchline Mayor

Not long ago I paid cash on the barrel head for a year's membership at a new (and I hope financially healthy) yoga studio. The studio is a good half hour by foot north of where I live, and about fifteen minutes north of where I work.



My route to and from the studio takes me past the corner of Park Road and Church Street, where the Christadelphians have built a small church and the City of Toronto has established a small park called Asquith Green.



Sometimes, while I'm walking, I play with similes in my head. One such figure of speech a long time brewing is "as woebegone as a Christmas decoration in January" and as the weeks after the New Year have stretched into months, and the Christmas decorations have still not been removed, the phrase has changed.

And I can't decide which is more woebegone.



This Christmas decoration in Asquith Green in March....



Or the jaunty baubles still hanging in my backyard in April ....















Maybe there's another simile: "as desperate a hold out as the last patch of snow in April..." 

There has to be one for Rob Ford...

On March 24, Bruce and I attended the last Toronto performance of Mary Walsh's one-woman show Dancing With Rage. We thought we were pretty lucky when I ordered tickets on Friday night for the Sunday matinee and managed to get two seats five rows back from the stage. But our luck might have been the result of the reviews. Mary Walsh is a great performer and one of the funniest people alive, but weak material won't save you, no matter who you are. 

The show started strong with Mary dressed as Miss Eulalie coming down the theatre aisle calling out a staccato series of jokes about Stephen Harper, Patrick Braseau and other newsworthy types, but she didn't even have to drop a name to get the biggest laugh. All she had to say was "your mayor."

There must be a simile in there somewhere: 

  • as insert something as Rob Ford, or, alternatively, 
  • Rob Ford is as insert something as an insert something else

Mull that over while you enjoy your Easter chocolate and have a great week!

Karen


No comments:

Post a Comment