Saturday, August 18, 2012

Lost and Found

A while ago now, the proprietors of the little yoga studio on Church Street I’d been patronizing for about four years decided to pack up and move their business to another part of town – a new location so distant I could not consider loyally following them.

For two months after they moved I was a yoga vagabond, trying out studios to see if any met the main criteria of a) being on my way home from work, b) having good teachers and c) good classes.  The best any other studio scored was two out of three.  The Yoga Sanctuary at the corner of Yonge and College was on my way home and had good teachers, but the classes… well, not so much.

But then I heard that someone was going to re-open the Church Street studio!  And then they did!  As of August 13, I have found a new yoga home.

*********************************

A very, very long time ago, my father brought home to my mother a pair of diamond earrings from his travels to Brazil. 

Mom wore the earrings constantly.   “When you have diamonds, “ she used to say, “Why wear anything else?”

But then one day she lost one of the earrings while she was doing laundry in the basement of our old house in Trenton.  We all looked and looked for that earring, but we never found it.  I imagined that it had fallen into the floor drain and been washed into the sewer.  It finally settled in the silt somewhere at the bottom of Lake Ontario.

Mom put the other diamond earring away in her jewel box, which is where we found it after she died.  She had promised the earrings to me, so I took the remaining earring as a keepsake.

I never wore the earring, but, when Bruce and I decided after thirty years of shacking up to finally tie the knot, four years after mom died, I had the diamond put in a white gold ring.  Bruce had a similar ring made with the stone from his grandmother’s engagement ring.

With our wedding, I transitioned abruptly from a person who never wore rings to a person with a ring on each hand (we had two wedding rings, and three wedding ceremonies…. It’s a long story).

And what, the increasingly impatient reader is asking, does the yoga studio story have to do with my rings. 

This:

There’s a pose in practically every yoga class where you have to stand on your hands, and it hurts if you’re wearing rings. So, before every class, I take off my rings and place them deep in one of the side pockets of my handbag.

I did this just before taking my very first class at the new/old studio.  And I absent-mindedly brought the handbag and my yoga mat and a yoga strap with me when I used the washroom just before class.  As I gathered all the stuff I’d brought with me and prepared to step out of the washroom, I heard a “ping” that I assumed was the metal buckle on the strap hitting the door on my way out.

Most nights after yoga, I have exactly enough energy left to make my way home, have dinner and conversation with Bruce, watch Jon Stewart/Stephen Colbert on the Internet and go to bed.   It’s the next morning before I sort through the contents of my handbag and get my jewelry back on.

The morning of August 14, I pulled my wristwatch, my silver rice bead chain with the little Ganesh pendant, and my gold wedding band out of my bag.  But the diamond ring wasn’t there. 

I thought about that “ping” I heard.

That afternoon, I spent ten minutes on my hands and knees in the yoga studio washroom, using my blackberry as a flashlight, trying to find the ring.  It wasn’t there.

Recalling that I heard a single “ping”, but not the sound of a round object rolling, I have to believe that the ring fell out of my bag… and into the toilet.

Now both of the diamonds my father gave my mother are settled in the silt somewhere at the bottom of Lake Ontario.



As do most people who marry after thirty years together, Bruce and I had a bounce castle at our wedding.  You can just barely see on my raised right hand the glint of the lost ring.

Have a great week!

Karen





No comments:

Post a Comment